Friday, January 9, 2015

"Does GOD satisfy your soul?"

An old song declared, "I can't get no … satisfaction!"  Such appears to be the constant state of people all over the world.  Why?  Because we look for it in the wrong place.  David writes in Psalm 63:1 ...

"O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." 

But he then goes on to say, "I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and glory.  Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.  I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your Name I will lift up my hands.  My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise You" (Psalm 63:2-5).

David had the Spirit of God within him and enjoyed a sweet fellowship with his Creator that was extremely rare in his day, before Jesus came and before the Spirit was poured out.  Yet, through the eyes of faith he had "seen God," believing that He was with him and that He loved him … and David loved God back.   He had found grace and forgiveness in God's mercy and he wrote songs of the joy he found in God, his Rock, his Fortress, his Deliver, his Redeemer … and more.  And David was not alone in finding satisfaction in God.  Isaiah wrote,

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!  Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.  Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare" (Isaiah 55:1-2).

He goes on to explain that it is in seeking God and finding His mercy, in confessing sin and finding forgiveness, in hearing God's Word and responding in faith that satisfaction is found.  Isaiah could only point to the "living water," but God used him to point to the One who Himself would satisfy the souls of all who would come to Him … Jesus, the Christ, who would take our sins upon Himself on the cross and rise from the dead, offering forgiveness and life to all who believed in Him!

Only Jesus could say, "Come to ME, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).  The "yoke" of Jesus is faith in the God who sent His Son to redeem you from sin and all its consequences.  Faith believes God's promises and finds satisfaction in GOD Himself.

Do not be like so many who continually want more from God and who question Him as soon as their every desire is not granted.  God Himself is enough.  Faith reveals itself as you go through the "valleys" of life and you continue to testify, "The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul.  He guides me in the paths of righteousness for HIS name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, (EVEN THOUGH!) … I will fear no evil, for YOU are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever" (Psalm 23:1-6).

Those are not just words to be read at a funeral … they are words to live by every day.  The Apostle Paul would write centuries later, "I have learned the secret of being content (satisfied) in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:12-13).  You can see how people take that last verse out of context.  Paul was talking about finding satisfaction in God and therefore being content in this world until he entered into the glory promised to all who believe in Jesus Christ and who find satisfaction in God alone.

That satisfaction allows you to say with Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73:  "I am always with You; You hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but You?  And earth has nothing I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but GOD is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!" (Psalm 73:23-26).

My prayer for YOU today as you read God's Word is that you will stop searching for satisfaction in the things of this world and find that only GOD, your Creator, who revealed Himself in His Son Jesus Christ, … only HE can satisfy your soul.  May you at this moment find rest in Him through faith in Jesus Christ, His Son and our Savior and Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment