Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"I will not be shaken!"

Day #39:  Daily Bible Reading Plan - February 5th

Scripture Reading:  Psalms 15 - 17 …

I have never experienced a large earthquake.  It must be a terrifying thing.  But I have experienced moments in my life when "my world" was shaken by the events going on in my life and in the lives of those around me.  If your eyes are open and you have a heart of compassion it isn't difficult to see the misery of those around you and to feel the pain they are going through.  Many are living on a foundation of sand, and when the storms of life come, their "house" comes crashing down (Matthew 7:24-27).

Each of us has experienced or is experiencing or will experience circumstances and events that have the potential to SHAKE the foundations of our lives.  When that happens, how are you affected?  Do you stand firm or do you lose your hope and panic?  Perhaps, like many, you become stressed and anxious, depressed and overwhelmed … you are shaken … and your emotions begin to control your thoughts and your actions.

There is a better way!  David begins Psalm 15 by asking a question:  "LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?  Who may live on your holy hill?"  The answer makes it clear that there is no one who has the "key" to open the door into God's sanctuary.  None of us has been or is blameless or righteous; none of us has always spoken truth or treated our neighbors as we should.  There are some things that we have done "right," but Psalm 15 might leave us wondering how to stand firm, because it ends with the words, "He who does these things will never be shaken" (15:5).

But Psalm 16 offers hope.  Psalm 16 speaks of God's grace and points to Jesus Christ.  "Keep me safe, O God, for in You I take refuge" (16:1).  David finds his hope in the LORD, and speaks words of encouragement to all who find their hope in Him.  He testifies, "LORD, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance" (16:5-6).  This is true for every believer.

Therefore, "I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.  I have set the LORD always before me.  Because HE is at my right hand, I will not be shaken" (16:7-8).  Acknowledging God as Lord through faith in Jesus makes you SECURE and UNSHAKEABLE!!  Verses 8-11 are said to refer to Jesus in Acts 2:25-28, but since we as believers are united to Jesus, they also refer to US!!  God will fill us with joy in His presence, with eternal pleasures at His right hand!!

Psalm 17 follows with a prayer that God would "keep me as the apple of Your eye" and "hide me in the shadow of Your wings" (17:8).  Through faith in Jesus I know that in HIS righteousness I will see God's face (17:15), and after I take my last breath in this life, I will awake in His presence and "be satisfied with seeing Your likeness" (17:15).

I pray that whatever is going on in your life at this moment, or whatever may happen tomorrow or in the future, you will stand firm and NOT be shaken!  When you come to Him through His Son Jesus Christ you can KNOW that you will NEVER be shaken.  God is working all things together for good for you (Romans 8:28), and He will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).  May you find His peace and His strength sufficient for your every need as you put your trust in HIM today!!

"O LORD our God, surely You reign over all things and are intimately involved in the details of my life.  Give me faith to trust You when the earth begins to shake and help me to know that You are near. May You receive glory as I testify to Your faithfulness and find my hope in You.  Keep me safe, O God, for in YOU I take refuge!  In Jesus' name, Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment